What you'll do
Origami is an independent technology company providing real-time energy performance management software, operating at the forefront of the global energy transformation.
Origami is defining a new category in the global energy sector with mission-critical software products to accelerate the transition to a world of net-zero carbon emissions. As renewables grow and energy markets shift closer to real-time, energy companies need to manage an exponential increase in data and complexity. Powerful technology is required.
Origami’s team combines deep domain knowledge of the energy industry, with cutting-edge software and machine learning engineering and operational delivery specialists. We have offices in Cambridge (Science Park), Shoreditch, plus a home working contingent. Working at Origami means using your passion for the renewable energy sector to innovate, continuously adapt, and be empowered to do your job proactively. We hire people who want to stand out and make a difference, while supporting the collaborative and respectful team we have built here.
Origami’s open cloud platform handles real-time streaming data from a large number of diverse data sources to provide time-critical insights, decision-making and execution solutions across physical and financial positions through powerful machine learning algorithms and a scalable, event driven microservice architecture. Our distributed platform is built with a range of technologies including Java, Python, Kafka and Kubernetes, and a range of AWS cloud services. Our Product delivery teams own the software they build all the way from idea to production and support.
Our Platform Engineers help build out the underlying abstractions of Kubernetes clusters, service mesh, observability, AWS organisation and networking management for example. These abstractions will provide self-service frameworks for use by autonomous squads of T-shaped software engineers firmly rooted in a devops culture of automated continuous delivery pipelines and ‘you build it, you run it’. The Platform Engineers will support the entire engineering team at Origami, championing best practices and aiding delivery of a highly available, highly performing platform.
We are looking for a highly skilled Platform Engineering Manager to lead this Platform team by example by helping build out our innovative platform, ensuring flexibility and ease of use. We are looking for someone who understands that great technology starts with great teams, and will foster a collaborative and inclusive environment where diverse perspectives and opinions are valued.
Key responsibilities and deliverables:
- Lead the development of, and help shape the Origami Platform Engineering function, with a focus on delivering quality and easy to use tooling at pace. You will help ensure that Origami has a common, consistent, and flexible platform that continuously delivers the tools, interfaces and components that drive our products and services at the right level of abstraction.
- Responsibility for developing and growing people by nurturing engineering talent, helping build an open diverse and inclusive working environment where everyone feels belonging and welcomed.
- Demonstrate personal commitment to technical advancement and guide the team to ensure efficiency and flexibility of the software and maintaining a high bar for observability, performance, security and availability.
- Make timely decisions and remove barriers to achieving sustainable product delivery pace whilst leading the continuous improvement of high-quality and innovative solutions.
- Understand different communication and delivery models and how this can guide the development of a self-service platform to value-stream aligned product delivery squads and know when to provide a service vs when to collaborate more closely.
- Have a strong focus on the usability and reliability of the platform as a product and comfortable regularly assessing if the services provided are still fit for purpose.
- You can maintain a sense of urgency; think 80-20, can use lean principles and iterate to drive emergent solutions in a complex and rapidly changing landscape.
Skills and Experience:
• Comfortable leading and guiding a highly skilled group of T-shaped engineers helping shape them into a high performing team
• Comfortable with continuous delivery, fast prototyping and learning from feedback.
• You’re team-oriented, keen to share your knowledge, and open to giving (and receiving) continuous feedback.
• You believe in the ethos of 'you build it, you own it’ to see through features from inception to delivery.
• You’re as comfortable using Infrastructure-as-code tools as you are at writing a shared library or implementing a RESTful API.
• You have experience of working in environments where uncertainty and hard problems are solved positively, rapidly, and collaboratively
• You’re a self-starter and can work autonomously to identify and solve problems.
• You demonstrate the values that are central to the culture of the business.
• We would like to see knowledge of the latest DevOps tools and practices.
• Experience of Git, Terraform, Kubernetes and any cloud platform (we use AWS) is required.
• You have experience with large scale distributed systems
It would be handy if you knew any of the following:
• Specific expertise in the following would be very beneficial
o Self hosted and/or managed Kubernetes
o Containers (docker)
o AWS – VPC, Route53, S3, IAM
o TCP/IP Networking
o General Linux Skills
o Infrastructure as code – Terraform ideally, or Ansible
o CI/CD – gitlab, github actions etc
o Observability – eg Prometheus & elasticsearch
• Experience with database technologies such as MySQL, MongoDB or Postgres is desirable along with a healthy exposure to shell scripting and coding in Golang.
• Experience with AWS Transit Gateway, CloudFront and API Gateway
• Experience with service Mesh (Istio)
• Experience using DORA metrics to facilitate continuous improvement
• Understand the RED method and the four golden signals for monitoring microservices.
• Deeper knowledge of Kubernetes internals
• Knowledge of Kubernetes custom resources and operator model
What’s in it for you?
We have an open, honest and trusting culture here at Origami. Apart from the unparalleled opportunity to be at the forefront of revolutionising global energy markets, we’re proud of the culture we’ve built here, and what we offer our people to sweeten the deal.
- Collaborative work space at our Cambridge and London Office
- We want you to work in a way that suits you! So we promote flexible working hours, working from home and an informal dress code. We are always open to hearing about new and wonderful ways of working!
- Rest and re-generate with 25 days holiday.
- Share Option Scheme. It’s important to us that everyone fully owns their role and contribution to our vision, what better way to reward this than equity in the company?
- Vitality Private Medical Insurance, a cash health plan (optical, dental, complimentary treatments etc.) and a life insurance policy worth 4x your salary.
- Cycle to work scheme, with bike storage & showers.
- Maternity and paternity leave.
- Refer a friend bonus of £1,500 net.
- Employee Assistance Programme (24/7 helpline/CBT).
- We want you to follow your passions, so take 2 volunteering days a year for the cause of your choice.
- Hack Fridays - one day a month to focus on your development and work on your creative projects.
- Stay with us for 4 years, and along with your long service award you’ll get an extra week's holiday and £1,000 net!
Origami is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive employee environment which is as representative as possible of our society. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy/maternity, race, nationality, religion or belief, gender, and sexual orientation.