Origami provides real-time energy optimisation software, operating at the forefront of the global energy transformation.
As renewables grow and energy markets shift closer to real-time, energy companies need to manage an exponential increase in data and complexity. Powerful technology is required. Origami is defining a new category in the global energy sector with mission-critical software products to accelerate the transition to a world of net-zero carbon emissions.
Origami’s team combines deep domain knowledge of the energy industry, with cutting-edge machine learning software engineering and operational delivery specialists. We have offices in Cambridge (Science Park) and a home working contingent in London. Working at Origami means using your passion for the renewable energy sector to innovate, continuously adapt, and be empowered to do your job proactively. We hire people who want to stand out and make a difference, while supporting the collaborative and respectful team we have built here.
Why is this role important to Origami:
We have a start-up mentality and look for true team players who thrive in an environment where you need to adapt quickly to business priorities. The path to success is not a straight one, it twists and turns and there can be obstacles to overcome! We are on a game changing journey, which means every person has a unique and powerful impact on our success. We are on the lookout for smart, hardworking, resilient, and adaptable people that can work with us and help get us there faster.
Origami strives to deliver a best in class customer experience, so we’re looking for a confident, experienced project engineer. As a project engineer, you’ll be responsible for connecting assets to Origami’s platform and accelerating the adoption of renewable energy, as well as completing feasibility studies and surveys around the UK. Representing Origami in the field, the project engineer plays a crucial role in our customer’s experience, building trust and rapport at an engineering level, while focussing on the goal of delivering our technology. As a subject matter expert for all things distributed energy related, you’ll be providing insight and sharing knowledge with the wider team to better understand an asset’s utilisation capabilities and behaviours.
Key Responsibilities & Deliverables:
Reporting to the Director of Customer Delivery as an integral part of the Customer Delivery team, you will be responsible for leading field activities in the adoption of our technology.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Creating and maintaining a safe working culture for our employees and contractors in the field, applying a zero harm philosophy and leading by example.
- Undertaking surveys and studies on sites around the UK consisting of demand (load), generation, and storage assets; evaluating their ability to participate in various markets and programs, and how we propose to enable them to do so effectively – both feasibility and flexibility
- Interacting with customers and third parties to prepare, schedule, coordinate and monitor the enablement of assets once contracted
- Monitoring compliance and quality of any field works
- Recording costs and manage project budgets
- Building and maintaining effective relationships with Origami’s contractors and suppliers.
- Maintaining effective records, for example, project plans, any risks or issues, health and safety documents etc. related to their projects
- Building collaborative and effective working relationships with internal stakeholders
Skills & Experience:
As a customer facing role, you will demonstrate that you can confidently engage with customers from engineering to C suite levels, with the ability to discuss both technical and commercial aspects of our technology.
You are both decisive and instinctive, taking responsibility for issues as they arise, using your experience and problem solving skills to remove and frictions points preventing progress.
You could apply your knowledge and experience to evaluate an industrial process or energy asset in order to determine whether flexibility exists in its operation; and to identify what changes would have to occur to utilise an asset’s ability to deviate from its normal operation.
You are organised and meticulous, with an attention to detail that ensures you get things done first time every time, learning as you go, identifying any areas for improvement so the process is more effective next time around.
- Complete risk assessments and produce method statements
- Competent to work safely in heavy industrial environments
- Understanding of transmission and distribution systems, HV substations and switchgear and energy metering
- Control system integration
- Manage enablement projects; coordinating customers, our technical team, and contractors to successfully connect assets to the Origami platform o Manage budgets · Excellent communicator
First-class problem solver
Other great things you may have:
. Experience with energy saving or management devices and control systems
· Experience in demand side response programs
· Experience with >1MW generation control systems, thermal and renewable sources
· Energy sector/domain knowledge
· Electrical engineering qualifications (C&G/BTEC/Degree)
What’s in it for you?
We have an open, honest and trusting culture here at Origami. Apart from the unparalleled opportunity to be at the forefront of revolutionising global energy markets, we’re proud of the culture we’ve built here, and what we offer our people to sweeten the deal.
- Collaborative work space at our Cambridge office
- We want you to work in a way that suits you! So we promote flexible working hours, working from home and an informal dress code. We are always open to hearing about new and wonderful ways of working!
- Rest and re-generate with 25 days holiday.
- Share Option Scheme. It’s important to us that everyone fully owns their role and contribution to our vision, what better way to reward this than equity in the company?
- Vitality Private Medical Insurance, a cash health plan (optical, dental, complimentary treatments etc.) and a life insurance policy worth 4x your salary.
- Cycle to work scheme, with bike storage & showers.
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave.
- Refer a friend bonus of £1,500 net.
- Employee Assistance Programme (24/7 helpline/CBT).
- We want you to follow your passions, so take 2 volunteering days a year for the cause of your choice.
- Hack Fridays - one day a month to focus on your development and work on your creative projects.
- Stay with us for 4 years, and along with your long service award you’ll get an extra week's holiday and £1,000 net!
Origami is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive employee environment which is as representative as possible of our society. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy/maternity, race, nationality, religion or belief, gender, and sexual orientation.