What you'll do
Origami is an independent technology company building a cloud platform from the ground up to enable energy companies to manage the trading performance of increasingly renewable assets. Our platform handles real-time streaming data from a large number of diverse data sources to provide clear insight and support decision making through powerful machine learning algorithms and a scalable, event driven microservice architecture. Our distributed platform is built with a range of technologies including Java, Python, Kafka and Kubernetes, and a range of AWS cloud services. Our Product delivery teams own the software they build all the way from idea to production and support.
We're looking for skilled Platform Engineers to help build out the underlying abstractions of Kubernetes clusters, service mesh, observability, AWS organisation and networking management. These abstractions will provide self-service frameworks for use by autonomous squads of T-shaped software engineers firmly rooted in a devops culture of automated continuous delivery pipelines and ‘you build it, you run it’. The Platform Engineers will support the entire engineering team at Origami, championing best practices and aiding delivery of a highly available, highly performing platform.
You belong in this team if
As a member of the Platform Engineering team, you will be building shared abstractions to support and enable product delivery squads to produce high-performance, scalable, secure, and fault-tolerant products by:
- Building Infrastructure tooling and automation.
- Expanding Monitoring, observability, and instrumentation
- Administrating Kubernetes, networking, and other infrastructure provisioning
- Managing cloud service providers (AWS for now, potential move to hybrid)
You will use your knowledge of the latest DevOps tools and practices to support the common needs within product delivery squads and enable self-service and automation.
You will help ensure that Origami has a common, consistent, and flexible platform that continuously delivers the tools, interfaces and components that drive our products and services
Use infrastructure as code to establish common approaches and guardrails to enable security best practices, capacity management and a standard approach to problem solving.
Be used to problem solving and your experience in similar tech to quickly learn and implement new solutions to complex problems.
You will take pride and ownership in your work and that of your squad
Ideally you will bring experience in:
- Specific expertise in the following would be very beneficial
- Experience administrating Kubernetes clusters.
- Containerization (docker), and orchestration (helm)
- Experience with AWS or GCP (minimum 1 year)
- TCP/IP Networking (AWS / Kubernetes)
- Linux system administration.
- Infrastructure as code – Terraform, CDK
- Configuration Management Ansible.
- Experience scripting in at least one of (Bash, Python, Golang)
- CI/CD – gitlab, github actions etc
- Observability – experience with opensource tools like Prometheus, Grafana, Kiali, Jaeger, Elasticsearch Kibana and/or Loki
You’re team-oriented, keen to share your knowledge, and open to giving (and receiving) continuous feedback.
You’re a strong communicator and love collaborating with other teams.
You believe in the ethos of 'you build it, you own it’ to see through features from inception to delivery.
You’re as comfortable using Infrastructure-as-code tools as you are at writing a shared library or implementing a RESTful API.
Experience of working in environments where uncertainty and hard problems are solved positively, rapidly, and collaboratively
You’re a self-starter and can work autonomously to identify and solve problems.
You demonstrate the agile values that are central to the culture of the business.
We would like to see knowledge of the latest DevOps tools and practices.
Experience with large scale distributed systems.
Other great things you may have
- Experience with database technologies such as MySQL, MongoDB or Postgres is desirable.
- Experience with AWS Transit Gateway, CloudFront and API Gateway
- Experience with service Mesh (Istio)
- Understand the RED method and the four golden signals for monitoring microservices.
- Deeper knowledge of Kubernetes internals
- Knowledge of Kubernetes custom resources and operator model
What’s in it for you?
We have an open, honest and trusting culture here at Origami. Apart from the unparalleled opportunity to be at the forefront of revolutionising global energy markets, we’re proud of the culture we’ve built here, and what we offer our people to sweeten the deal.
- Collaborative work space at our Cambridge office
- We want you to work in a way that suits you! So we promote flexible working hours, working from home and an informal dress code. We are always open to hearing about new and wonderful ways of working!
- Rest and re-generate with 25 days holiday.
- Share Option Scheme. It’s important to us that everyone fully owns their role and contribution to our vision, what better way to reward this than equity in the company?
- Vitality Private Medical Insurance, a cash health plan (optical, dental, complimentary treatments etc.) and a life insurance policy worth 4x your salary.
- Cycle to work scheme, with bike storage & showers.
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave.
- Refer a friend bonus of £1,500 net.
- Employee Assistance Programme (24/7 helpline/CBT).
- We want you to follow your passions, so take 2 volunteering days a year for the cause of your choice.
- Hack Fridays - one day a month to focus on your development and work on your creative projects.
- Stay with us for 4 years, and along with your long service award you’ll get an extra week's holiday and £1,000 net!
Origami is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive employee environment which is as representative as possible of our society. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy/maternity, race, nationality, religion or belief, gender, and sexual orientation.