A green energy world, powered by smart technology
Origami is an independent software technology company that provide a real-time energy optimisation and data platform, operating at the forefront of the global energy transformation.
As renewables grow and energy markets shift closer to real-time, energy companies need to manage an exponential increase in data and complexity. Powerful technology is required. Origami is defining a new category in the global energy sector with mission-critical software products to accelerate the transition to a world of net-zero carbon emissions.
Origami’s platform provides the time-critical visibility, decision-making and execution solutions required for energy companies to succeed in an increasingly green energy system. Our modular suite of cloud-based software and data products enable energy companies to quickly make and execute informed decisions across physical and financial positions, and to do so at scale, for more efficient, resilient, and profitable trading operations.
Origami’s team combines deep domain knowledge of the energy industry, with cutting-edge software engineering and operational delivery specialists. We have offices in Cambridge (Science Park), a collaboration hub in London and a remote working contingent. Working at Origami means using your passion for making a positive impact to innovate, continuously adapt, and be empowered to do your job proactively. We hire people who want to stand out and make a difference, while supporting the collaborative and respectful team we have built here.
What you'll do
We are looking for a technically confident Engineering Manager to help lead the technology teams building and growing our innovative platform here at Origami.
You’ll lead a diverse mix of T-shaped software engineers to deliver core products that enable, visualise and control physical and financial energy assets, and help build strong technical foundations to support the evolution of the Origami platform. In addition to working closely with your engineers, you’ll collaborate with your product and operations counterparts, as well as across the technology community and additional fellow engineering managers as the company grows.
As an Engineering Manager at Origami your primary responsibility is to the people you support: ensuring that they are growing as engineers, doing valuable work and generally having a great time at Origami. You also work closely with product, operations, solutions and machine learning teams to shape the team’s strategy and lead team delivery, enabling productive and sustainable ways-of-working, focus on the most important things, and long-term business value.
As a lead for gifted engineers in our technology department, technical leadership and a solid background in software delivery is a must, so that you’re able to challenge and grow your team members. You will have the opportunity to influence the culture, lead technical delivery and work with your team on strategy and execution.
You belong in this team if
- You understand great technology starts with great teams, so you will foster a collaborative and inclusive environment where diverse perspectives and opinions are valued.
- You will lead and develop teams responsible for product component development, deployment, cloud infrastructure, observability, alerting, SLOs and support.
- You will maintain and extend our focus on cloud services, independent and automated continuous delivery of decoupled microservices with extensive use of infrastructure as code.
- You will provide leadership for engineers through hiring, coaching, mentoring, performance management, feedback and hands-on career development.
- You will establish a team culture with emphasis on quality, delivery focus and engineering agility
- Make timely decisions and remove barriers to achieving sustainable product delivery pace whilst leading the continuous improvement of high-quality and innovative solutions.
- Demonstrate personal commitment to technical advancement and guide the team to ensure efficiency and flexibility of the software and maintaining a high bar for observability, performance, security and availability.
- Solid Java development experience in a continuous integration and delivery environment, ideally within AWS cloud services, CI/CD pipelines.
- You will establish clarity for peers, partners and leaders through a clearly communicated focus on product delivery progress and engineering improvement.
Ideally you will bring
- You’re passionate about developing and growing people and have a track record nurturing engineering talent, helping build an open diverse and inclusive working environment where everyone feels belonging and welcomed.
- You have a proven software engineering background, ideally developing distributed and highly available cloud-based systems at scale, with a minimum five years’ hands-on experience developing and supporting production services.
- You have experience working with high performing engineering teams who have a clear sense of autonomy in their technical decision making, follow rapid agile delivery practices and embrace devops, cloud services, infrastructure-as-code and automated continuous delivery pipelines.
- You have experience in leading, hiring, managing, coaching, and mentoring software engineers in a product delivery environment, sustainably delivering high quality working software at pace.
- You are collaborative, supportive, curious and an open communicator.
- You have a level head, are a confident problem solver and can distil clarity from complexity.
- You can maintain a sense of urgency; think 80-20, can use lean principles and iterate to drive emergent solutions in a complex and rapidly changing landscape.
- You would love to make a difference.
What’s in it for you?
We have an open, honest and trusting culture here at Origami. Apart from the unparalleled opportunity to be at the forefront of revolutionising global energy markets, we’re proud of the culture we’ve built here, and what we offer our people to sweeten the deal.
- Collaborative work space at our Cambridge office
- We want you to work in a way that suits you! So we promote flexible working hours, working from home and an informal dress code. We are always open to hearing about new and wonderful ways of working!
- Rest and re-generate with 25 days holiday.
- Share Option Scheme. It’s important to us that everyone fully owns their role and contribution to our vision, what better way to reward this than equity in the company?
- Vitality Private Medical Insurance, a cash health plan (optical, dental, complimentary treatments etc.) and a life insurance policy worth 4x your salary.
- Cycle to work scheme, with bike storage & showers.
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave.
- Refer a friend bonus of £1,500 net.
- Employee Assistance Programme (24/7 helpline/CBT).
- We want you to follow your passions, so take 2 volunteering days a year for the cause of your choice.
- Hack Fridays - one day a month to focus on your development and work on your creative projects.
- Stay with us for 4 years, and along with your long service award you’ll get an extra week's holiday and £1,000 net!
Origami is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive employee environment which is as representative as possible of our society. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy/maternity, race, nationality, religion or belief, gender, and sexual orientation.