Who are we?
Origami is a fast-moving technology company working towards transforming the energy industry. The world’s energy systems are changing. For more than 100 years a small number of large fuel-burning power stations have been used to provide power to our homes and businesses, but this is no longer sustainable. To power the world for the next 100 years, more sustainable and climate friendly energy sources are needed and people are increasingly choosing renewable energy to get the power they need. The climate crisis has accelerated this transition and the pace will only increase, but with this change comes an exponential increase in data and complexity that will need to be managed.
Renewable generation relies on vast numbers of small scale generators (wind turbines, solar panels and others) bringing their combined power to the grid, but renewable sources are by their nature not controllable, and existing software systems designed to aid visibility and decision making in a simpler, fossil fuel powered world are woefully inadequate when faced with the changes underway.
What you’ll do
We are looking for an ambitious Software Engineer who is genuinely passionate about building products intended to support and accelerate the transition to renewable energy sources. At Origami, we’re building our platform from the ground up with renewables in mind, to handle real time streaming data from a vast number of diverse data sources, and to provide clear insight and support decision making through powerful machine learning algorithms and a scalable, event driven microservice architecture. We use a range of technologies including React, TypeScript, Java, Python, Kakfa, SQL and NoSQL persistence. Our platform runs on AWS with Kubernetes and our Product delivery teams own the software they build all the way from idea to production and support.
We’re based in Cambridge (Science Park) but at the moment we’re 100% remote, and we're flexible/open to offers on work location within the UK. Join us and you’ll get the support and tools you need to develop and grow whilst enjoying a fast-paced, inclusive and exciting environment. Oh….and the work you’ll do has the potential to make a profound and lasting impact in the transition to a greener, more sustainable world!
- You’ll work within a small autonomous product delivery team, to iterate upon and continuously deliver improvements to the software your team owns.
- You’ll follow Agile and DevOps practices to deliver iteratively, and continuously seek opportunities to learn and improve.
- You’ll build software that is fault-tolerant, scalable, secure and highly-available
You belong in this team if
- You love working in teams and collaboratively building features that impact customers
- You are motivated by owning products, from initial idea to continuous improvement
- You believe strongly in test driven development and continuous delivery
- You love building scalable, resilient solutions
- You seek learning opportunities to deepen your expertise or broaden your knowledge
A bit more about you
- Proficiency (2+ years) with Java, but can demonstrate a curiosity and ability to work across the stack with a mix of languages and tools
- Good working knowledge/interest in working with distributed event-based systems
- Knowledge of best engineering practices and continuous delivery
- The temperament to thrive in an environment where we solve hard problems and move quickly. Its important you’re comfortable working with a degree of uncertainty, knowing that not everything you try will be successful
- A strong delivery focus and a desire to do impactful work
What’s in it for you?
We have an open, honest and trusting culture here at Origami. Apart from the unparalleled opportunity to be at the forefront of revolutionising global energy markets, we’re proud of the culture we’ve built here, and what we offer our people to sweeten the deal.
- Collaborative work space at our Cambridge office
- We want you to work in a way that suits you! So we promote flexible working hours, working from home and an informal dress code. We are always open to hearing about new and wonderful ways of working!
- Rest and re-generate with 25 days holiday.
- Share Option Scheme. It’s important to us that everyone fully owns their role and contribution to our vision, what better way to reward this than equity in the company?
- Vitality Private Medical Insurance, a cash health plan (optical, dental, complimentary treatments etc.) and a life insurance policy worth 4x your salary.
- Cycle to work scheme, with bike storage & showers.
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave.
- Refer a friend bonus of £1,500 net.
- Employee Assistance Programme (24/7 helpline/CBT).
- We want you to follow your passions, so take 2 volunteering days a year for the cause of your choice.
- Hack Fridays - one day a month to focus on your development and work on your creative projects.
- Stay with us for 4 years, and along with your long service award you’ll get an extra week's holiday and £1,000 net!
Origami is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive employee environment which is as representative as possible of our society. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy/maternity, race, nationality, religion or belief, gender, and sexual orientation.